Cheese Appreciation Level 3
Cheese Appreciation Level 3 depends on the foundation laid in the pre-requisite course Cheese Appreciation Level 1. The emphasis in this course is on Old World Cheese; the social history, quality standards, terroir influences & regulatory guidelines that formed this mature cheese industry. It is a favourite among graduates as they learn and taste cheese in detail using new perspectives.
Old World / European Cheeses : (France, UK, Spain, Italy, Scandinavia, Holland, Portugal, Switzerland, and more)
- Classic Varieties*
- Industrial vs. Artisan*
- Festivals / Traditions / History
- Pasteurized grazing vs. Factory farms
Developing a Cheese Vocabulary
- Regulatory issues
- New EU PDO program for cheeses (replacing AOC, DOC, DO)
- Understanding IDM
- Quality standards / judging a cheese
- Raw vs. Pasteurized*
- Buying criteria for cheeses*
* Indicates tasting component will be incorporated into the discussion.
Next Scheduled Course: Cheese Appreciation 3
There are no classes scheduled at this time.
Cost: $645.00 + HST($83.85) = $728.85
(includes class cheese, workshop materials, testing and certificate)
Prerequisite: Cheese Appreciation 1
Duration: 27 hours (3 hours x 9 weeks)
Class size: Maximum 25 people.
Result: Certificate of Achievement